Almost 90% of Communications leaders say their strategic plans are not adequately supporting the business' top priorities.
The main reason for this is that the team is not committed to being seen as a strategic function. Without considering what this looks like, the Communications function will always be caught in urgent misalignment challenges.
How can Communications become more strategic?
Creating a better strategic plan will connect Communications more closely to the organization's needs. The best Communications strategic plans follow five key steps:
- Reveal and understand business partners' challenges and priorities
- Identify where Communications can influence business partners' behavior
- Outline communication aims and allocate resources well for every project
- Make sure stakeholders understand project resourcing and obligations to participate
- Continually assess the plan to make sure it supports the business' top priorities