More than 70% of skills required of R&D leaders to meet innovation goals are non-technical.
CEB R&D Leadership Academy
The New Environment for R&D Teams
R&D executives are at the forefront of driving value for their companies with innovation, but rapidly changing business conditions require R&D teams to possess a new set of innovation and leadership capabilities to drive greater impact. R&D teams must transition from ‘order takers’ to ‘idea shapers’ and go beyond technical expertise in order to meet innovation demands.
Companies with high innovation-potential R&D workforces have new product sales performances that are 75% better than other organizations. Put simply, this performance adds up to $1.4 billion in additional sales each year for a $10 billion company. CEB research identified five sets of skills and behaviors that significantly drive innovation potential of R&D staff - customer empathizer, idea integrator, influencer, risk taker, and results seeker. Collectively, these five markers explain over 70% of R&D staff's innovation potential.
The Five Markers of High Innovation Potential
Each of the five markers significantly impacts R&D staff's innovation potential. Collectively, the five markers indicate over 70% of R&D staff's innovation potential.
*Hover over the image to learn more
CEB R&D Leadership Academy consists of three, two-day sessions focused on building the innovation potential and key business capabilities of your R&D staff. Grounded in research and developed in conjunction with CEB's network of R&D executives, the curriculum targets three of the most influential markers of innovation potential - customer empathizer, idea integrator, and influencer. CEB R&D Leadership Academy's ongoing learning experience helps participants apply newly learned skills to real-world projects, ensuring visible impact on individual and organizational initiatives.
*Click or drag the blue highlighted area to learn more about the different sessions in the curriculum
- Pre/Post Session Assignments
- Two-day Classroom Sessions
Session I: Drive Innovation Through Collaboration (Customer Empathizer)
- Increase trust across a globally dispersed R&D network through tailored communication to accelerate idea sharing.
- Drive broader participation and greater collaboration in innovation by effectively balancing and integrating multiple perspectives.
- Gather information and customer input to understand their underlying needs, and champion the customer perspective in idea and technology development.
Session II: Enhance Business Decisions (Idea Integrator)
- Integrate business strategy and environmental factors, alongside technical expertise, to guide R&D decision making and drive value for the organization.
- Systematically unpack challenges to better define the problem, identify underlying causes, and inform potential solutions.
- Manage uncertainty, assumptions, and subjectivity to guide prioritization and investment decisions.
Session III: Obtain Stakeholder Commitment (Influencer)
- Deploy persuasion principles to secure stakeholder commitment and advance ideas through the innovation funnel faster.
- Convey technical recommendations, product value, and project needs in a relatable and compelling way.
- Segment and analyze stakeholders based on their innovation impact and perceptions of risk.
Who Should Attend?
Participants of our public classroom are generally in mid-management positions, with 8 – 15 years of experience. The participant profile is more flexible for Onsite delivery, which allows us to tailor the learning experience across a variety of audience demographics and desired learning outcomes.
Sample Titles Include:
- R&D Specialist
- Research Engineer
- Technical Engineer
- Senior Engineer
- R&D Project Manager
- R&D Manager
- R&D Director