CEB Challenger SellingTM Development Program: SAP operates in the extremely competitive enterprise software and related services space. In 2013, Sales and Sales Enablement leadership at SAP made the strategic decision to adopt Challenger Selling to transform their sales conversations from technical pitches of features and benefits to more compelling, insight-focused conversations.
Global Vice President Sales Leadership Programs Global GCO University Customer Strategy and Global Sales Operations | SAP
- Develop a highly-engaged, efficient sales team.
- Maintain competitive edge.
- 26% increase of deals closed
- 27% more sales revenue generated
- 41 day reduction in average sale cylce
SAP traditionally relied on the strength of its products and services and the sales organization’s technical expertise to guide sales conversations. However, SAP recognized that its sales force must provide greater business insight and value to customers during sales interactions to stay competitive.
SAP conducted a competency assessment in 2012 to better understand skills, behaviors, coaching support, and time spend differences between top and core performers.
Seeing strong alignment between the Challenger™ approach and top-performing salespeople, SAP’s sales leadership selected Challenger Selling as the global model for engaging customers.
To ensure adoption across a significant global population, SAP also empowered frontline sales managers to support and lead this transformation
SAP deployed the Challenger Development Program™ and the Coaching to the Challenger programs to nearly 4,300 sellers and 1,400 managers in nine languages across all regions of the world.
A sampling of SAP trainees (approximately 15% of all participants) completed a post-training assessment in which they attributed €47.4 million in closed business and €184.2 million in anticipated business to Challenger.
SAP compared the sales pipelines of individuals who attended Challenger training to pipelines of those who did not. Challenger-trained individuals:
- Close a Greater Percentage of Deals: 26% more deals closed
- Bring in More Revenue: 27% more sales revenue generated
- Close Deals Faster: Average sales cycle time of 126 days versus 167 days
- Sell Larger Deals: Larger average deal size.In 2015, SAP received a Brandon Hall gold medal for its global sales training program, of which Challenger training was a significant component.
In 2015, SAP received a Brandon Hall gold medal for its global sales training program, of which Challenger training was a significant component.